‘StarDrive’ is a brand new 4X action-strategy game currently under development by the Zer0sum Games team. With this release, they are hoping to surf the wave of renewed interest in the 4X space-sim genre, which birthed such favourites as Galactic Civilizations 2. The timing is perfect, with indie titles such as Endless Space and Faster Than Light turning our gaze, once more, to the heavens.
Starting out on your little home planet with only a couple of rusty space vessels for company, your goal is to reach out across the galaxies and forge an empire on which the sun(s) never set. To accomplish this, you must perform the classic mix of exploration, expansion of your territories, resource gathering and the merciless conquering of all those who oppose you.
The driving force behind the game is its modular approach to starship design. The unique custom ships that you create will have a huge impact on the way you play the game, and should make the combat varied and exciting as you try to fight to your crafts strengths.
On the StarDrive website, they claim the finished product will have a range of features, allowing you to do the following:
- Customize your Race by selecting from a large list of physical traits, socioeconomic traits, and traits relating to your history and tradition
- Lead your forces into battle with your own flagship that you control like an arcade shooter; command your fleets like you would in a real time strategy game with simple mouse commands
- Tactical ground combat to take over enemy planets
- A deep research tree with many dozens of technologies
- Rich diplomacy options, allowing you to make and break treaties with alien races; trade technologies and artifacts, sell ships, declare wars, and design joint operations with your allies
- Cooperative and Competitive online and LAN multiplayer
- StarDrive is easy to modify, and modding will be actively supported by the developers
StarDrive does not have a definite release date as of yet, being in an early stage of development. However, the developers have just finished the alpha-funding stages on Kickstarter and Desura so we expect an announcement soon. Of course, we will keep you abreast of all developments. Here’s a video taken from the StarDrive website of an early build of the game: