There is an apparent and unfortunate defect in the Amazon Kindle, which many users—myself included—have encountered. Occasionally the device will not start and will not charge, regardless of the battery level.

Amazon was apparently aware of the problem when they released the device. They even included an excerpt towards the top of the user manual on how to fix this, stating, “If your Kindle does not power on or is unresponsive during use, try resetting the device by sliding and holding the power switch for 15 seconds before releasing.”

Here’s what I recommend—and it has worked for me repeatedly.

The reset Amazon suggests often works. Do that first. All you need to do is slide and hold the power button. Hold it for 15 to 30 seconds.

If that doesn’t work though, you’ll need to do a hard reset. Keep in mind, it will void your warranty if you open your Kindle. And while this particular method works for older Kindles, it doesn’t work on the Kindle 3 or later (for Kindle 3 and up users, check the comments). Here’s how to do it:

1. Peel off the back cover of the Kindle. You can do this by using a wedge (I just used my fingernail) to lift it.
  2. Beneath the battery (the large white thing) and to the left, there’s a small hole. Stick a pin or paperclip in there for a few seconds.
  3. Slide and hold the power switch for 15-30 seconds.

My Kindle started working right after that. The light actually turned on while I was still holding the power switch.

It’s an odd problem. It seems to start working again on its own if you leave it be for a few days, but it’s still rather inconvenient. If anyone finds a better method please share in the comments below.

[Image courtesy of Amazon]

About The Author

Joshua Philipp is the founder and editor of TechZwn.com. He's also an award-winning journalist at Epoch Times.

195 Responses

1. Bjolin

Thanks for the help. Actually had to do the reset on mine to get it going again. If you have an earlier version of the Kindle (which I do), the reset button is on the bottom next to charging port.

2. Ami

I was unable to switch on my Kindle at first i thought perhaps it was dead, but after days of trying to charge it I tried the following and it worked!!
    I held the release button for 30 seconds, then released it and after approx 20 secs tried the slide button and it switched on

3. Trying to be helpful

CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION! It is not possible to “peel off” the back cover of the Kindle Keyboard 3G and doing so could void the warranty (obviously). Also there is no HOLE on a Kindle 3!!! People please pay attention to differences in models before giving advice!!!

• Mark

Thank you. But with my Kindle Keyboard, the other resetting option doesn’t work. Is there any way to peel off the back with a Kindle Keyboard to try to fix it?

• Mark

• Ruthann

Correction: please pay attention or given advice before attempting. The author CLEARLY stated that their method would NOT work for Kindle 3 and newer. Learn how to read before making stupid comments.

• n0aaa

I couldn’t find the hole, either, but peeling the back off my wife’s Kindle 3 got it going (it then told me that my battery was very low).

4. Roni

Thank you for taking your time and sharing this with us. I thought I was going to have to get a new Kindle.

5. linda stow

so what do you with the kindle 3? as you said there’s no hole and i could void the warranty.

• Joshua Philipp

With the Kindle 3 you could try holding the power switch for 30 seconds. That’s basically the hard reset method they’ve held onto. If that doesn’t work, you’re probably best off contacting Kindle (it’s odd they’re so many models in now and this problem is still there).

• Denise

I have an older model Kindle and just today I plugged it in to charge it since it had been awhile since I did. After about 4 hours I still had the ‘charge battery’ screen, and it hadn’t charged at all and I couldn’t turn it on. I did the hard reset by holding down the power on button for a little over 30 seconds and it came back on! Thanks so much! I take my Kindle everywhere with me and I really didn’t want to have to buy a new one. I’ve had it for a few years now and I’m sure it still isn’t under warranty. Thanks again for the good advice!

6. Ms.T

wow, thank goodness, going to bed last night without reading was very difficult. My kindle earlier in the night had stopped, and I had done the reset, this was the first time it ever happened. And that fixed it, but then it did it again and nothing would make it work. Glad you gave another option. The picture in the other comment was not where my reset button/hole was on the inside, but boy is it ever a small hole.

FANATASTIC….

7. Teresa Jacobs

Wow, my 3 month old Kindle suddenly stopped working earlier today and went totally blank. As it was a birthday present from my children I was quite upset to think it had a fault, however after reading all the comments and deciding I had the Kindle 3 I just held in the power button for around 30 seconds and it has just opened up ok. Thanks for the helpful hint

8. Paul Shankles

My Kindle seems to have gone dead. I held the button down for 30 seconds and it rebooted. It is working fine now, thanks….

9. D. M. O'Reilly

from Amazon. Guess what! They can no longer get batteries from their former supplier.

I love this Kindle. I, too, read in bed. Try that with the Fire (my latest Kindle) . It weighs a ton compared to
    my old Kindle and the view keeps flipping bet. horizontal and vertical at the angle I have to hold it.
    Completely unacceptable.

Thanks for the solution! My nighttime reading has been RESTORED.

10. Michelle

Thanks so much for the help. I LOVE my kindle and panicked when it wouldn’t charge up. I simply hit the reset button and all is well again. Thank you for your brilliance!

• leanne

hi guys, thanks so much for all your help! im off on my holidays next week and have been trying to charge my first generation for a week! (the battery sign showing but not showing the charging up), i hit the reset button a viola! thanks 😀 x

• leanne

11. No Name

Kindle Fire owner.I held the button for 30 seconds and it worked. I thought it would automatically reboot, but I had to turn it back on to see it was working. What the hell though! One would think they would have worked on this widespread issue between the release of different models.

12. Fernando Salazar

Excellent advise. thank you. It has started working again. thank you.

13. Fernando Salazar

Excellent advise. thank you. It has started working again. thank you.

14. jeff

thank you for your help. After 30 seconds I tired to turn it on but nothing happened, that is for about 30 seconds. Then it started up. Appreciate your help. jeff

15. Stupid Kindle!

I just reset my Kindle 3. Here’s how. Remove the back, just above the power switch you will see the word “reset” witten on the green board. Just below the word are two raised mounds of solder. use a paper clip or something conductive to connect the mounds of solder briefly. The reset function still works, but for some reason the didn’t install the button the 3. What you are doing by connecting the two solder points is completing the same circut the button would if it were there. I guess they wanted to take the power out of the hands of the consumer so you would send it in for repair?

• engkantosakanto

Cool! this method reset my Kindle 3.
      My kindle won’t charge and got a blank frozen screen, the 30 second hold on the reset button won’t fix it so i opened it as instructed above or do a search on youtube on how to open your kindle.
      Took me a lot of trial and error to find that raised mounds of solder. the solder can be found right above the reset switch not right below the ‘reset’ word. see attached photo.

As mentioned above, you have to connect the solders with any conductor. keep connecting until the green light in the reset button or until the kindle screen flickers and you see the loading page.

• annieb

It worked! Yay! Thanks!! and photo was VERY helpful too. I tried a couple of times using a penny, but then got some legit copper wire and tried once more and it finally worked.

• Nic

Thank you! worked really well, took a while to gently prise the back off. But loading up and working fine now, I had almost given up hope.

• steand

Thank you SOOOOOO much, especially for the photo. Before I found the photo, I’d jabbed at so many bits of solder, I’m surprised it worked when I finally did get the right place!

Again, thank you!

• libby loo

thank you for advice and photo soooooooooooooooo helpful and explained well my kindle working well again

• dawntcb

this method with the picture worked for me when nothing else did. thank you!

• usha

Thank you very much ! I have given up all hope with my Kindle . I have even changed the battery which I bought online at Aliexpress , but it wouldn’t charge . Even now , the orange light is not glowing , but with your method , the Kindle charging screen with the tree is showing , hope it works !

• usha

When I connect the charging cable , the orange light briefly glows and then is off . Is there any hope for this malady ?
        Or have I to just junk my Kindle ?

• usha

It worked briefly twice , rebooting completely without stopping,
        but whenever I put back the back cover , would reset itself and reboot erratically stopping midway . So , am back to square one.

• usha

Thank you once again ! My Kindle is working , though it may still blackout or stop booting midway any time. But, I am
        no longer intimidated by these antics any more , being armed
        with this strategy of waking up the drowsy Kindle .

• caleil

I had to try over and over again before I finally got my Kindle to reboot all the way. I was connecting the reset solder points until the light came on, flickered, and the reboot screen came up. It wouldn’t get past 1/4 or 1/2 way, though, according to the progress bar on that screen. Finally, I tried sliding the button while connecting the solder points (all at the same time), and although I do NOT recommend doing this for more than a second or two, it finally worked! I think this method caused the reset connection to get quite hot, which is why I don’t think you should try it for very long at all – I was afraid I’d damaged my Kindle. But it worked, and several days later it’s still working fine!

• usha

Even my Kindle is working for the present after multiple blackouts and resets . I wiped the the reset solder points ,

and surrounding area as best as I could , and it stopped rebooting by itself . I think , this removed any dust which is shorting the solder points and causing resets. I have a well maintained Kindle , barely used , but I gave it to a local

computer service person for repair .He kept it for a month and I got back a dusty kindle with added problems . Then I bought the battery , which I should have done in the beginning itself . Also , I think we should use , that is charge and discharge any device with a battery . So, the Kindle needs daily usage and recharge before it totally discharges .I just checked my Kindle , and it is fine !

• marcivass

Hi, my kindle keyboard first started to produce the constant reboot symptoms and then it completely died. The only thing that helped was when i took the battery out and put it back in after a few minutes, held the slider for 20 secs, held the home button for 35 secs and put the kindle on an AC charger. Then I was so happy when the main screen came on and I could actually turn pages in a book only to produce the constant reboot symptoms again after like 5 mins. Now it’s dead again, tried to connect the solders, nothing, tried to connect to the laptop, won’t recognize it. The amber light is still on when put on a charger but nothing happens. What can I do? I have no more ideas.

• caleil

This is what’s happening with mine now, as well. Did your issue resolve with time? Were you able to get past the midway point?

• usha

Unfortunately no . I have closed and opened the back cover so many times . Now , even the reset is not happening , I think I have to give up after investing so much money and time on it ( I even purchased a battery for this ) . It is really a pity that a good product(the idea) has bad design faults like this . I would rather have a reliable relatively bulky product than sleeker unreliable product like this.

• usha

But , then I connected it to my laptop , kept the back cover open tried resetting a number of times, again it stopped booting midway , but showed up itself as a device connected to my laptop couple of times , asking me to eject in case if I want to use . I ejected the device and it is alive for the present , synced itself . I shall keep it in the Kindle case with the back cover loose and not fixed . Let me see , how long will the Kindle and my patience will last this way …

• Bill Tinsley

My 3 will not reset or recharge no matter what I try, but thanks to all for your suggestions. My Kindle is being replaced… by cheap, used paperbacks.

• Josh

I used one of the flat tips of the charger plug, it went hot and even smoked some, I immediately released the contact and moved directly to an electric fan to cool it down, it reset and now is fine 🙂

• ionuke

you just shorted the thing. I advise no one to do as you did as you were mere lucky not to have fried the thing.

• name

i tried this method shown with the picture. at first it would only do a partial reboot. after several attempt using battery power and when hooked to the computer for power, i tried a usb converter with more power. got a complete reboot right away.
        next problem was i putting the cover back on. when i did so the old problem would return. i cut out a sheet of plastic that matched the cover and sandwiched that between front and back and all is now well. this is with a kindle with keyboard.

• Yechiel

I couldn’t see the attached picture. Are they the two mounds on the bottom and to the right of the RESET? I can’t seem to get any green light no matter what I try.

• Frey

May I know where I can find the attached photo to identify the correct solder? Cannot find in this page…
        Please help me.

• Glen

Can you send me the photo? I don’t know what two solder points to connect

• jeff

Don’t know how to download picture of solder points. Can you e-mail picture? Thanks.

• 呂洋

Go***nn! This method f**cking works. God bless you! You save my life!

• JeanJavaBean

Still helping, after all this time!!! Inherited son’s Kindle 3…not
        used for years, and last used w/o turning off the wireless…Critical
        batt…replaced it, reset it (thanks to your picture) and…BINGO!
        Brought back to life!! Thanks!!

• KindleFixIt

Just wanted to add to this great post. I had to hold the screwdriver on the 2 solder points until the unit fully booted back to normal but when once removed it turned white and the whole process had to be done again. In my case I had to re-solder the 2 solder joints and now the unit fully chargers and doesn’t have to be shorted.

• Chris Chastain

Thank you for the photo! I would have never found the correct pads without it!

• Sheri Permenter Parente

I have the first one that came out, ( color) but I don’t see where the back even comes off

• ctm

What a cheap product, can’t reset the kindle and can’t get the back off without damaging it…I won’t buy another one…

• John

I really appreciate your help and photo. I have had a new screen fitted recently so when my kindle had a blank screen and could not get a green light at all , i knew it needed resetting but need to know how. This worked for me straight away and the green light came on thus all is good and working correctly. Many thanks

• Esther

Thank you so much for the step-by-step and photo! My kindle battery had gone dead. When I charged it for 2 days I notified t was frozen. This worked like a charm and now my kindle is working again!!!

• CyberianGinseng

This worked for me. Couldn’t get the kindle fire hd to come on. It would make that sound when plugging in the power cord. However, when I tried to use the power button to turn it on it just gave that beeping sound. I left it alone for weeks thinking it was toast. My sister came to me again when her daughter’s kindle fire did the same thing. Can’t let the baby go without so I looked online found this comment and took the back cover off. If you hold the kindle short side up with the spot where the power button would be pointing up the word reset was written on the upper left side on the green circuit board. There are four small squares right next to it, which I guessed is the solder you mentioned. I almost certainly have a different KF HD generation than you because your post is 3 years old and mine doesn’t look like the picture someone posted below. I closed the connection with the back of a fingernail clipper. At first I thought it didn’t work, but when I connected the back cover so I could use the power button it came right on. Gonna try it with the other kindle. Thanks for your post.

16. Bradlie Benner

For some reason my kindle wont turn on still. I pluged it in to chrge while I slept and woke up to turn it on and it would not work I’ve trie to reset it no result except my screen froze. Please help!!! I cnt get the back off

17. Bradlie Benner

18. Tiffany Spires

My kindle wouldnt charge and I had tried all the online suggestions. (didnt want to take the back off for fear of damage). I charge mine through usb (that is what i got with the kindle) and I found somewhere to 1 shut down the kindle 2 reconnect the usb cord 3 shut down and restart your computer before my computer even came all the way up my kindle had started to charge. hope this helps someone

19. AnnieBanannie

If there is a reset hole near the charger, how do you use it. If that does not work how do you get the back off of the kindle? ARRGH! I am so frustrated!!!

20. Amanda

I have a basic kindle and it wouldn’t turn on. I tried chargeing in and the light was on during the charging but at the end of the day it still wouldn’t turn on. I ended up replugging it in then holding down the power button and the buttons on the bottom of the kindle for ten seconds then letting go of the bottom buttons but keeping my finger on the power botton. It rebooted and now works.

• Jean

Thank you Amanda. This is the only thing that worked to reboot my Kindle Fire.

21. me

Yay! This forum was the only one that gave me the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

22. Lesley

When I slide the power button and hold it the green light, it stays on for a few seconds, flashes twice and goes off. The screen is faded in places. Any one know what to do. Have taken the battery out but not sure which is the reset button. I think it is a kindle 3

23. jacko25

thank you for your help regarding non charging kindles. I was about to bin mine then followed your advice then ” lo and behold” my kindle now works

24. Jenn

Thanks I was going to go buy a new one, but then saw your post & the basic reset worked fine. Thank you very much.

25. Fulene

My kindle keyboard has been behaving erratically. Crashes, reboots, won’t turn on, seems to not charge, then it does,doesn’t display screensavers, etcetera. I have always been able to turn it back on by holding the slider for a LONG time. Maybe 30 seconds. Sometimes it will blink green and shut off again. Then when I slide it again it will eventually turn on. I would NOT take the back off and mess around inside it!! In asking for help from Amazon tech team, they had me take it out of the case for a few days to see if it works as it should. I did and ODDLY it seems to be working normally. I will give it more time to see if it continues to work. I don’t get this!! The case is not magnetic. I can’t imagine what effect it would have on the device, ANY IDEAS, ANYONE??? I love my teeny little old ” K keyboard”. I don’t want to go with a bulky new one. I already have an iPad.

26. Yechiel

I’m having battery issues with my Kindle Keyboard. When I charge mine, the orange light goes on, and then off. Sometimes it’ll stay on for a while with nothing happening. So I took out the battery, and installed it into a different kindle 3, and that charged the battery. Now I tried putting it back in the original one, and nothing happens. Basically, there’s no communication between the battery connections and the device. Anything I can do? I tried to do the reset by shorting the RESET smolders but nothing… Anyone please?

27. Yechiel

My Kindle 3 won’t charge with the critical screen staying all the time, and when I charge it the orange light comes on that goes off. So I tried what was described here, to connect the solder point… Nothing. Next, I took a second kindle I have and switched the batteries, still the same issue. Only now the battery from the bad kindle was able to charge in the other kindle. I hoped that the newly charged battery would now work and reset the kindle, but the kindle is unresponsive. How can I get the kindle to respond to the battery?

28. Shannon Taylor

Does this work for Kindle Touch models? Not sure what generation that is. Willing to try anything, can’t afford another one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just has the battery and USB picture on front and won’t do anything. Light turns from amber to green sometime but nothing works.
    THANKS SO MUCH

• viv1948

I have the same problem Shannon. The Amazon website has a lot of these questions and the answer in all cases seems to be to hold the power button for a slow count of at least 30. I have a Touch and must admit, It didn’t work for me. It flickered but died again with the battery image on the screen. I’ll keep trying though.

29. Skye

Thank you! Did not have to do the “hard” reset. How frustrating though, to have the Kindle just kiss off like it did. Happy that it was a very simple fix! God bless and thanks again! 🙂

30. viv1948

Gave it another go counting slowly to 30 with the power button pressed in on my Touch. Didn’t fire up, only flickered briefly, so put it on charge. After about 10 minutes, it came back to life!! All is well!

31. cat

I am unsure what model I have, but this has happened to me twice. The first time it magically came back on in a couple days (the 30 second hold didn’t work) and the 2nd time I stuck a pen in the hole on the top and it came on.

32. Karl

I ruined my kindle trying to remove the back. I used a plastic pry tool that came with my new battery. When prying the back off, I severed a small circuit strip that connects the main board to the display screen. KINDLE MODEL D00109

33. Karl

34. Laura

I Have an older Kindle. I did the reset at least 3 times and it will turn on, but doesn’t charge. Sometimes the green light turns on when it is on the charge, but it appears to be completely dead. I have had it for probably 2.5 to 3 years. Is there anything else I can do? I just can’t buy another one and relied on this a lot. I think one of my grandsons used it until it died. Thank you.

35. Laura

I called the help number for Kindle and Amazon was very helpful. I needed a new charger and they are sending it to me at no charge. They said that would take care of it. I just thought I would let everyone know, in case it was the charger that was the problem, like mine. I tried the charger in something else and it didn’t work. I hope this helps. Thank you.

• Darina

Hi Would you mind giving me that help number. I have an original kindle and it won’t charge. thanks.

36. Blair

Hi, I tried to reset it both of these ways and neither worked. I’m not exactly sure what generation I have, but I’m worried it might be a 3. Do you think if I just left it charging for a few days, it would work itself out? Please help! I am in so much trouble if this is broken!!!

37. Blair

Hi it’s me again! I was reading some of the comments and understood it could be my charger! So I tried my charger in my phone, which has the same charger as my kindle, and it didn’t work! So now I have a working charger in and the charging light is on! Thanks so much for the wonderfully helpful website!

38. Blair

39. Lilou

Hey ! I have a kindle 1st generation and love it, it was frozen on the charge screen (despite putting it on charge for several hours). I tried the hold down for 30 seconds thing several times and it wasn´t rebooting, it only worked on the 5th time. But it works fine now, and I didn´t even have to peel the back off.

Thanks 🙂

40. TICA

Kindle 3 wi-fi /3g says “your battery is empty.” Hooked up to computer and the light stays orange for ever. Won’t charge. Tried the paperclip technique, but not sure what I was doing since didn’t see a picture. HELP PLEASE!!!

41. TICA

42. Sarah

Hooray! I must have a really old one but holding the power button worked – thank you very much 🙂

43. garage gate repair

Fantastic post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
    Many thanks!

44. bathroom wall art etsy

you are truly a just right webmaster. The site loading
    pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.

Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a magnificent job on this topic!

45. Lea

You share interesting things here. I think that your website can go viral easily, but you must give
    it initial boost and i know how to do it, just type in google for –
    wcnu traffic increase

46. Nandini Goel

Thanks a lot!
    That totally worked. I was worried to death because my kindle was’t responding….

47. Happy Joker

I have a kindle fire, and it turns on ut the loading screen in the begining, I tried everything but it doesent work.

48. How Does Kindle Work | Fire Tv Stick

[…] Kindle Won’t Start or Charge? How to Reset a Kindle … – There is an apparent and unfortunate defect in the Amazon Kindle, which many users—myself included—have encountered. Occasionally the device will not start and… […]

49. How Much Is A Kindle | CE Amazon

[…] Kindle Won’t Start or Charge? How to Reset a Kindle … – D. M. O’Reilly September 6, 2012 . This worked for my 1st generation Kindle. I really thought my battery was gone and tried to buy one from Amazon…. […]

50. How To Find Kindle Fire | CE Amazon

51. How To Kindle Fire | Amazon

52. How To Books On Kindle | Amazon

53. How Much Is A Kindle | Amazon

54. How To Download Kindle | Amazon

55. How To Get A Free Kindle | Amazon

56. How Does A Kindle Work | Amazon

57. Tricia

hello I have been trying to recharge my kindle today. Ive have had it for 3/4 yrs,
    just started reading your comments and looked at the one tat said slide the back off. i tried around the side buttons is easy but then it was difficult at top and bottem so snapped it back on thinking I would have another go tomorrow (rather than 11pm in bed ha ha ha) and that was enough to reset the kindle is now working.
    Many thanks for motivation to TRY

58. SwampyPDX

I have a Kindle Touch that has not been used for a couple of months. The screen is stuck showing the battery and cable needs to be plugged in. I do that and the charge light comes on but it does not charge. I have tried resetting by holding power on for 30 seconds but it does not reset. I took the back off to do a hard reset but the guts of my Touch do not look like any of the images of Kindles I can find about resetting on the web. My model is S2011-002-A. How do you hard reset this model? Thanks.

• Kathryn

I have the same model and was able to fix the problem after experimenting a bit. Don’t bother taking off the back. I plugged it into a computer because some people had said that can help. Then I noticed the 2 silver squares on the back above the power button and connected them with a paper clip while holding down the power button. I have no idea which aspects of this method did the trick, but it worked.

59. dalion

I bought my Grandchildren a kindle HD kids edition and it was downloading updates and hasn’t let the system completely load since. It gets stuck on loading with the word “fire” on the screen and won’t go any further. Any suggestions what to do?

60. Megan

Does anybody know how to fix this problem with a kindle paperwhite? I plug it in and the light turns on like it’s charging but the screen shows that the battery is low and to plug it in anyway. Don’t think there is an easy way to take the back off to try and reset it and holding the power button down doesn’t help. It’s plugged into my computer now but haven’t had any luck with that yet.

61. inky

“connect the solders with any conductor”. whats best way to do this,please

62. Sudha Ranjan

perfect this one helped me.. have been trying to fix this issue for few days now. thank you !!

63. Kerrie Hartin

Thank you. My Kindle stopped working yesterday. I thought it just needed to be charged. Charged it up and … nothing. Followed your advice and it is back working again. I’ve had for about 3 years and this is the first time it has happened.

64. daren

Thanks for the suggestion on resetting the Kindle to raise it from the dead. My version has a button for the on off. In this case I held the button for the 30 Seconds and the unit came back to life!

65. Sharon Cookie Young

You are a genus. I could not get into my Kindle Reader and did like you said and held the on switch for thirty seconds and IT WORKED!!! Than you so much.

66. Sheri Permenter Parente

I have the older one but the one with color, does the back even come off? I do not see where it would?

67. Jacqueline Candello

I just restarted my Kindle by holding the power button for 15 seconds. It is usually during an update that I find I can not turn on my Kindle.

68. Geno Menchetti

I left my Kindle fire out in the rain, No Bueno! Put it in a bag of rice and it dried out the screen! However, slide would not turn it on. Took off the back per instructions here, and sprayed all the parts with WD 40, I am now reading again!! Thanks to all.

69. Karin

Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! My Kindle( I believe it’s the original model) froze up. I tried your 15 second idea first and it worked! I’m usually not that lucky!!!

70. Dave Silcox

I was reading my Kindle Model D01100 on a flight from Toronto to Frankfurt yesterday. I turned it off for Landing and when I tried to restart it it will not restart. I have tried holding the on button down for up to 60 seconds, I have taken the back off and tried to find the reset button, there is no reset button. The only way that it will start is if I USB connect it to the computer and then deselect the kindle in the finder.

71. RogerW17

Excellent post. My Kindle3 wouldn’t switch on or charge and I assumed it was the battery since it is five years old. Replacement battery made no difference. I tried all the other methods described elsewhere but to no avail. I then found your instructions for the reset which I did (thanks to the photo). At first it didn’t work but after the fourth reset, it booted up properly and is now charging.
    Thanks again.

72. New Techo Hero

I followed the advice of Stupid Kindle from 3 years ago, and others……and it worked!!!! Removing the back was easier than I thought it was going to be – I found a youtube video, and did what the man said, except that I used a small fine edged screwdriver. Be firm but gentle, and off it comes. A carefully bent paperclip did the short circuit job. Nothing happened for about an hour after plugging it in – and then ‘bingo’ – after sliding the power switch for about 40 secs, the charge light flashed on, followed about a half hour later by the screen awakening from its deeep sleep. Time will tell, but we seem to be back in the land of Kindle

73. Phil in Spain

Wow!!!
    Many thanks. My screen was frozen on empty battery. Followed your tip by connecting the two small raised mounds of solder with a bent and twisted metal pin. Kindle is now charging which keeps er indoors happy and off my back!!! Result allround.

74. indyconservative

Twice, I tried recharging it overnight with a phone charger, but then neither holding the power switch worked nor the method of connecting the solders worked. THEN I connected the Kindle 3 to my laptop via USB and let it charge overnight from the laptop. For some reason, it WOULD recharge when connected to my laptop and then I could turn on the Kindle. I’m not sure what the difference was there — maybe the Kindle 3 only likes the Kindle recharger (which I was not using) or a PC recharging, or I was originally using bad chargers or cables.

75. mick

i have a paperwhite kindle but when i charge it it does not keep its charge it only lasts for about 8 hours